Saturday, January 15, 2011

{comfort} food

Helllloooooo blog land! WOW, I've been gone for a while, huh? Not sure why, but I got really burned out after the two craft fairs I did in November and early December, and I just lost all my inspiration. I've got two cards to share soon that I made with some of the new Hero Arts goodies (love them!), but for today, a little something different.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
(adapted from Gina's Weight Watcher's Recipes)

1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
a few celery stalks, chopped
1/2 medium chopped onion
garlic
1 pkg (8 oz) sliced baby portabella mushrooms
frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
2-3 chicken breast, dice
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
salt and pepper

In a large soup pot, saute onions and celery over medium-low heat until translucent. Add 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped or grated, and mushrooms. Saute for another 3-5 minutes. Stir in poultry seasoning. Add about 2/3 of the bag of frozen veggies (or however much you like) and the diced chicken. Add milk, and 1 1/2 cups of the chicken stock. Bring to a boil slowly over medium heat. Add potatoes and simmer until tender, 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the flour and remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock until thoroughly combined. When potatoes are tender, add flour mixture to soup and cook another 5 minutes, or until soup is thickened.

We made this soup for the first time tonight - it was so yummy! Perfect for cold winter nights - and a very healthy choice too for the post-holiday detox! :) The website I adapted the recipe from (and I didn't change much) puts it at 3 points for a 1 cup serving. That's pretty awesome in my book! 




No comments:

Post a Comment