Wednesday, December 7, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Ornaments Day 12 - Stamped Salt Dough Ornaments

This is it - Day 12! This ornament is a new twist on an old classic from my childhood. I did a lot of trial and error in the video too. It was a lot of fun to film!


I remember making salt dough with my friend Rebecca's mom. Except we sculpted it, and then painted our creations after they were baked. Here, I show how you can use your stash of stamps and ink to decorate them before you bake them - It gives them a fun embossed, almost letterpress-like look.

Here's the recipe, since I don't include it in the video.

Salt Dough

- 1c. salt
- 2c. flour
- 1c. lukewarm water

Mix until combined, then knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, until dough becomes smooth and pliable, and looses some of its stickiness. Roll out and cut out, or sculpt as desired.

Bake at 250 degrees for about 4 hours, until dried and hardened. Alternately, place ornaments on a wire rack and allow to air dry.

And now, here's the video that shows how to stamp on your salt dough. This is another great project to do with kids, and the finished ornaments look super cute on your tree. Did you know that, historically, people used to use various types of cookies to decorate their Christmas trees? These ornaments end up looking like decorated cookies. :)



The stamps I use in the video are from the following sets: Winterberry and 2011 Holiday Tags by Papertrey Ink; Snow Crystals and Nordic Noel from A Muse Studio.

There's one other ornament that I made, that's not included in the video, and that I totally love. I used some old border stamps from Sassafras and a bunch of different colors of ink to stamp out a pattern. Then I used a cookie cutter to cut a mitten shape out of my pattern. So cute! :)


And, just one more real quick idea... While you're stamping your salt dough, think about making gift tags! I love how this looks on a simple (if kind of messy - sorry!) package.


Thank you so much for joining me for this video series! I've had a ton of fun and I hope you have too! :)


1 comment:

  1. I really am going to have to try this. So cool and different. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete