Thursday, July 29, 2010

more origami wreaths

I was thinking about trying to do my own photo tutorial, but I figured it'd be nicer (and easier, haha!) to just share with you the youtube tutorial that I learned the project from. This is from shaleesdiner.



And a couple tips and tricks I've discovered:
     1. DO use a bone folder... And crease every fold well!
     2. When you fold an edge up to another edge or fold, leave yourself a little room. Don't fold it up so it's touching the other edge/fold, because you're going to have to fold a lot of layers together and you need the wiggle room.
     3. I think I've figured out a good way to glue the pieces together. I've been using my Tombow Mono Multi glue, mostly because it's tip fits in between the pieces and the Elmer's tip does not :) But you go through a lot of glue per piece, and the Tombow glue isn't cheap, so I'm going to try to find another type of glue with a pointy applicator tip. I glue in between the points in each of the little "pockets" and underneath (in the center) between the pieces. You just want to make sure your squirt of glue is large enough that it touches both pieces of paper. If you use glue that dries clear it will be visible, but only if you're looking for it. So here's my best attempt at photographing where I like to glue the wreath together (L - top view, R - bottom view)...
     4. I like to use 12 folded pieces for my wreath. I really like the size it creates... large enough to stand alone, but still small enough to hang on a Christmas tree. Although obviously you can make it slightly smaller or larger depending on how tightly you join the pieces.
      5. So far I prefer one-sided papers for this project, just because they're a little thinner and easier to fold. 6x6 or 8x8 paper pads are great for this project because you can get 2 pieces per sheet of paper. HOWEVER, if you want 12 pieces or more, you're going to end up using a good chunk of your paper pad!

So here's what I've been doing so far...

(Sassafras, October Afternoon, Girl's Paperie)

(Cosmo Cricket's DeLovely, and my wash yard)

And here's an idea I'm totally loving right now... Using materials that are not, strictly speaking, Christmas related to make Christmas projects. These two wreaths were made from Cosmo Cricket collections: Material Girl and Garden Variety respectively.

(with Prima E Line flowers)

(with Jenni Bowlin and Basic Grey buttons)

Here's a closer shot of the first one I made... You can see how it doesn't look any different from the others... That's because there really is no learning curve with this project. You won't have to waste supplies and time trying to figure it out!

(Echo Park Paper Co.)

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment